Are you looking for ways to lower your carbon emissions? It’s not only important in reducing the environmental impact of your project: it will also ensure that you’ll save on fuel costs and maximise productivity. But how do you go about making improving plant fuel economy? Read on to discover 3 easy ways you can make a big difference.
1. Make sure your plant hire company provides the latest machinery
Modern plant performs best when it comes to fuel consumption and emissions, so if you’re looking to drastically reduce emissions, hiring the latest plant is a prerequisite. It's therefore worth questioning your hire company carefully on these points:
- Look for availability of Tier 3B machines across all plant products – These engines, compulsory in new machines since 2011, are the most environmentally friendly
- The latest innovations offer potential fuel savings of up to 18% - Provided the machinery is operated correctly, you stand to drastically reduce fuel consumption
2. Ensure the machines you use are regularly serviced
It’s not just about the latest innovations. If you want to reduce your emissions, you need to ensure that all machinery is operating at an optimum level. If not, it’s likely that your plant is eating more fuel than necessary while it is in operation.
A commitment to regular servicing from your plant hire company is, therefore, crucial.
- Your plant hire company should deliver your equipment in perfect condition – It’s worth investigating their pre-checks before signing a contract
- Regularly serviced equipment is likely to be more expensive but a better investment – If you try to save on costs of hire, you’ll ultimately pay the price in greater fuel consumption and missed deadlines. In other words, you may well end up with a higher overall cost of hire
- Transparency in a plant hire company is vital – Does yours have an open door policy when it comes to the checks it carries out on plant? Alarm bells should ring if your hire company tries to keep its checks behind closed doors
3. Check that the operators you’re using have received appropriate training and education
You can have the most up-to-date, regularly serviced equipment on the market. But if operators aren’t properly trained and educated then you won’t see the benefits in terms of fuel economy.
Whether you’re using your own operators or those provided by your plant hire company, ensure that they’re properly trained. This way, you’ll ensure both safe running and properly performing equipment.
- If you’re using operators from your plant hire company, ask what training they undergo – The right operators will ensure that your machinery operates at maximum productivity
- Good operators should be aware of average fuel usage – That way they can compare the current figure to the average
- Operators should park plant ready for starting the next day’s work – A cold engine uses more fuel, so anything you can do to minimise initial manoeuvring will save fuel
- Ensure operators check there’s enough fuel to finish a given task before starting – Fuel and time is wasted in refuelling trips
- When refuelling only fill the tank to 95% - Diesel expands, so this will prevent leaks
Ultimately, if your plant hire company provides strong, modern, regularly serviced equipment with operators that have undergone the appropriate training, you’ll reduce your environmental impact as well as save on fuel and carbon emissions.
On top of that, it’s likely that your site will run more safely and smoothly.
When you think about it like that, it’s well worth the investment.